Here is how to add or remove American Express from your checkout flows:
- Home. Either add or remove American Express as a valid card type.
- Shopping cart. The customer reviews the contents of their shopping cart.
- Shipping information. The customer enters their shipping information.
- Billing information. The customer chooses to pay with a credit card and enters the card number or other details. Either add or remove American Express as a valid card type here.
- Order Review. The customer reviews the order, shipping, and billing information. When the customer clicks "PAY" to place the order, you call a PayPal API to request payment and the payment is initiated. Either remove American Express as a valid card type or make sure when adding American Express as a valid card type that you update your Direct Payment Integration to send American Express transactions to PayPal.
- Order Complete. You transfer your customer to your order confirmation page.
Direct Payment APIs, which may need to be modified:
- DoDirectPayment update CREDITCARDTYPE
Direct Payments Recurring Payments DP/RP APIs
- CreateRecurringPaymentsProfile [update CREDITCARDTYPE if you are adding American Express; stop passing American Express as a CREDITCARDTYPE if you opt out or are restricted]
- UpdateRecurringPaymentsProfileDetails [update CREDITCARDTYPE if you are adding American Express or changing to a different card number; stop passing American Express as a CREDITCARDTYPE if you opt out or are restricted]
Note: Refer to the DoDirectPayment API reference section on Developer Central.
For NVP Integrations:
- Start by visiting the DoDirectPayment API reference section on Developer Central.
- Update DoDirectPayment to support or not support “AMEX” as an allowed CREDITCARDTYPE for American Express cards in the API request where the PAYMENTACTION is an AUTHORIZATION or SALE.
- If you are adding American Express, make sure that your code supports passing a CVV value of four digits for American Express cards.
- If a merchant is restricted for American Express or opts out of American Express acceptance, they will receive the following error:
10566 / Short Message: Credit card type unsupported / Long Message: The credit card type is not supported.
For SOAP Integrations:
- Please follow the API integration instructions for NVP, but substitute the NVP field names with SOAP field names (EX: NVP=CREDITCARDTYPE, SOAP=CreditCardType)
Please check the API reference section for the exact SOAP integration value for DoDirectPayment.
Unlike the NVP and SOAP integration methods, Payflow does not require a distinct card type value to be passed on a per transaction basis. Payflow requires a tender type for the method of payment (tender) and a transaction type (TRXTYPE, e.g., "S" for Sale), but passing the specific card type (ACCTTYPE) is optional. The Payflow engine deduces the specific card type based on the card number itself.
- If your integration passes the ACCTTYPE value, please update it to pass ACCTTYPE=3 for American Express Transactions.
- If a merchant is restricted for American Express or opts out of American Express acceptance, they shall receive the following error:
Result code: 25 Invalid Host Mapping
If you're not passing ACCTTYPE, you shouldn't have any changes other than possible restricting and unrestricting when passing American Express transactions on your end. Website Payments Pro Payflow Edition documentation can be found here.